Hello, all !!
I'd like to have a thread for those of us interested in public art, to discuss our readings and artworks.
I'll start, but feel free to drift the conversation wherever you may.
Already, I am noticing that to say "I create Public Art" is a very broad topic !!! So far, this semester I've read "Landscapes for Art: Contemporary Sculpture Parks" and "Ecoventions: Current Art to Transform Ecologies". Here is my question to start the conversation:
What does "Site-Specific" mean to you ???
thx, deanna
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Deanna,
ReplyDeleteHow has "ecoventions" been defined? Is it temporary, site specific public art made of degradable materials?
When I read site-specific, I think that it is an orginial idea or very appropriate to the site, i.e.: taking into account the topography, meaning, and culture of the site.
As you know, last semester I studied the work of and met Maya Lin. She does strong site-specific work. She doesn't even design an idea until she's thoroughly studied the topic and contemplated the significance of it's history. Then she looks at the site and then she comes up with an idea.